With Pastoral Responsibility for St. Mary's, Johnstown, Dewi Sant, Rhosllanechcrugog, St. Thomas', Penycae and St, John's, Rhosymedre
The parish of Rhosymedre was formed in 1844 when the old parish of Ruabon was split into the ecclesiastical parishes of Rhosllanerchrugog, Ruabon and Rhosymedre. The Parish consists of the villages of Acrefair, Cefn Mawr, Rhosymedre and Newbridge.
Built of local Cefn Stone the Church is dedicated to St John the Evangelist and was consecrated on the 6th of July 1837, on land which had been donated by Sir Watkin Williams Wynn. It was built largely at his expense but a grant of £600 was given by the Incorporated Church Building Society, and further endowments form the Tithe rent charge of Llanfair Caerenion of £100, and by interest from a consideration of £900 from Queen Anne’s Bounty, which also assisted in the purchase of a house presented by the governors to the living.
The architect was Edward Welch and his plan has been described as ‘sprawlingly cruciform’ with low pitched roofs and corner pinnacles. It has a western porch with a saddle back bell cote and a peal of tubular bells.
About our Vicars
The Reverend Phil Bettinson
The Reverend Canon Dr Trish Owens
Trish is a recently retired medical Doctor and is the Assistant Curate for the Parishes of Rhosymedre and Ruabon.
Trish was installed as an Honorary Canon in November 2014 when Bishop Gregory said “Trish is an outstanding example of non-stipendiary ministry, and currently serves on the Governing Body of the Church in Wales.”